Yesterday we were on a scenic drive and we came across a town that called itself 'the sausage capital' of New Zealand. I thought I'd pick up a few, fry them up for dinner, keep R quiet for a while. But the shop in question was all locked up.
'So the er, sausage department is closed?' I asked the lady in the adjoining store.
'It's the weekind,' she said sourly.
'Sorry! I forgot- the shops don't have weekends back at home,' I said, laughing gormlessly. She answered by slamming my change into my hand, at the same time ridding herself, I noticed, of some euros she'd acquired from a previous customer. That's more like it, I thought. All that nice waitress business in America was just a passing dream.
In additional news we've been enjoying seeing lots of nice penguins and things, just there, in their own habitat, cages not included.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment