Wednesday, 4 February 2009

Cone you see it

I'm living out of a van. Recently things over-ran and we ended up 'freedom camping' beside Lake Taupo. I was unsure about this because I like sticking to the rules. R said 'so what? We're just hanging.' I evened things by picking up all visible rubbish from the other freedom campers. I picked up some non-visible rubbish as well.
Also today: we've done the Tongariro Crossing, a 19.4km walk over volcanic terrain. You are advised to allow 5.5-7.5 hours to do the crossing. So how did we do?
Start: 08:50 Finish: 14:30 Lunch -15 mins. Various breaks -20 mins. I threw a wobbly at the Red Crater -25 mins. So, all done in well under 6 hours
Facts: Mounts Ngauruhoe and Mt Tongariro are active volcanoes. You can see fumaroles (steam vents) in action as you trudge up the track.
Mount
Ngauruhoe played 'Mount Doom' in The Lord Of The Rings, bringing 10 times the usual volume of hikers to the area. If I were Ngauruhoe I'd have erupted in protest.
Picture: the Emerald Lakes, made green by minerals seeping in from nearby volcanic er, stuff

No comments: