Thursday, 9 April 2009

A meaning of art

Richard went off to do some extreme sports today,* so I did a sketch. I was just noticing how awful it was when a young, stylish person came over and said 'this is intense. I've just drawn that too. It must be this place. It draws people like us. It's a creative thing.' I smiled and said 'hmmmm...' He then asked 'why did you draw this? And why those colours?'
My answer was monumental. Picasso couldn't have done better. It smashed the boundaries of psychology and art. It went: '...erm... because I felt like it.' Awed by this he moved away to give me some room.

* This means he wanted to climb a hill, or something.

Today's picture
It's that late afternoon sun feeling again, the one where you remember a thousand happy yesterdays. Think back to one of your happiest moments. Were you outside at the time, at about 4 on a summer afternoon, generally facing East? I'll bet you were.

This boat is called the Providence. It's drifting past Magnetic Island. Where I am that is, not the bit on the other side.

No comments: