Thursday, 30 April 2009

Singapore Sling

Today on my holidays I visited a Buddhist temple. Buddhism is Singapore's most widely practiced religion followed by Islam.
Pungeant swirls from joss-sticks among piles of citrus fruit beckoned the visitor in from the street. I felt I could stay. Offerings of milk and oil lay at the feet of various deities, the most obvious being a 15-metre-high statue of Buddha at the back of the hall. At 300 tonnes in weight this one is certainly on the large side; a good job as he's got an awful lot of condensed milk to get through.
Also today we visited red-and-gold Chinatown for tasty treats. R bargained with hawkers like an an old hand while I paid for my goods with my usual finesse i.e. by producing a handful of coins and staring at it.
Fact: octagonal features are common among buildings here because in Chinese culture the number 8 is regarded as lucky.

No comments: