Sunday, 14 December 2008

Tacos, beans & ?

And now to Monument Valley, home of the Navajo and for me a love-hate experience.
There is nothing I repeat nothing attractive or romantic about camping, roughing it and so on. Don't believe the hype. As dusk fell I could be found rocking in the bitter cold, head in hands, thinking yes we get to sleep out in the heart of the Valley and yes the moon is rising in a mystical way above those ghostly spires-
...but _ _ _ _ this. I want a hot shower. All I needed was some friendly wine to numb the pain but oh no, even this wasn't allowed - all alcohol being banned from the reservation.
(brighter voice) The area itself is outstanding. Film director John Ford is said to have spent many hours here, transfixed. Each 'monument' has its own name and story to tell. I believe
that ghastly rock band, Bon Jovi, made one of their videos atop one of them.
'Superstition Pathway' is where one can enjoy storybook-perfect echo effects. Simply stand and yelp / wail as appropriate.

No comments: