Wednesday, 14 January 2009

Kia Ora

Due to forces of nature we have had to bypass Fiji. We are in Auckland, New Zealand - 13 hours ahead for your information.
There was confusion at the airport, the Fiji crisis being quite recent news. I approached the helpdesk but knew there'd be a problem because the lady sitting there looked like a stoat. Her response to our plea went something like: 'all of Fiji shut down by storms, you say? Yes that is your fault. No, you won't be getting your money back. Goodbye.' I tried to point out that when Hurricane Godzilla is pursuing you around the globe it isn't always down to your own planning, but there was no response. Such is the outcome when dealing with someone who looks like a stoat. It's a worldwide phenomenon.
Anyway, 4 weeks in New Zealand have become 6. It's so warm here - and it smells of summer, the way England used to, I forget what year.
So many things to consider: like, where's all the wine? Which national chocolate icon can I become unnaturally preoccupied with? And where is that 'McCracken' sign - the one that everyone sits on with their buttocks on display? Maybe it's on the South island.

No comments: