Friday, 23 January 2009

A Slippery Slope

We are in Hokianga. Do come here if you want total detachment from the known world.
This afternoon: sandboarding. As we approached I saw the slopes were peppered with achingly beautiful people, all in the peak of fitness. I thought 'posers. Anyone can do this' and positioned myself at the top of a nice gentle slope to start with. 20 minutes later I was still there, flapping like a stranded sea-lion. I had also partly buried myself.
'Er, excuse me love,' said a soft voice. I looked up into the face of someone supernaturally gorgeous. He said kindly, 'you need to turn your board up the other way.'
'Oh' I replied and watched as he launched himself, centaur-like, into the air and hurtle downhill into the sea. I saw him in slow motion as is the case when a mind is in the presence of a body performing a sports move perfectly.
Richard took to it straight away of course. By the end of the day he had found his own style
I don't think I'll continue with this sport in the future. Maybe I'm just overqualified? I might stick to lying in this hammock, reading the book, Dune, instead, which is just as good, if not better.

No comments: